bbdb-user

Re: Big changes recently

From: Roland Winkler
Subject: Re: Big changes recently
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2018 23:16:07 -0500

On Sun Mar 25 2018 Rob Walker wrote:
> Now that I have bbdb-20180317.2155 installed, I get the following
> message every time a record is automatically added:
>
> Retrieving...done
> created Piwik Analytics’s record with address "address@hidden"
> Duplicate BBDB record encountered: Piwik Analytics [3 times]
>
> So the automatic add is working, just as it was before, but the new
> code seems to try to add it 2x.

Thanks for reporting.

Recently I changed the code for how records are added to BBDB and
the above seems to be related to this.  Just to understand your
problem correctly:

Is it correct that the first and second line of the above message is
what you expect to see for your method of adding new records to
BBDB?  (The message "Retrieving...done" seems to come from code
outside BBDB.)  In other words, in the above example "Piwik
Analytics" is not a record that has been residing in your database
for a long time.  But you get these messages when a new record for
"Piwik Analytics" is created.

But you do not expect to see the message "Duplicate BBDB record
encountered", correct?

Why do you say "the new code seems to try to add it 2x."?  You get
this message 3 times.  So it appears as if BBDB tries to add the
record four times (and the last three attempts give this warning).
But do you have then multiple replicas of this record in your
database?  Actually, I'd expect that only one record is added.  But
somehow, nonetheless, you get erroneously this message "Duplicate
BBDB record encountered".

> I would like to download the previous version of bbdbv3, but I am
> having a hard time finding the old code.

The git development repository is git://git.savannah.nongnu.org/bbdb.git

I'd hope that if you go back prior to commit
bbea47cb4baf50ed12e0b1310c43c8e788de6dab
("bbdb-register-record: New function.")
you should get back the expected behavior.

I'll look into this.