bbdb-user

Re: Use region as initial search regexp

From: Roland Winkler
Subject: Re: Use region as initial search regexp
Date: Fri, 24 May 2019 10:31:55 -0500

On Thu May 23 2019 Marco Wahl wrote:
> What do you think about using the region as initial value for
> bbdb-search-read?  See the (small amount of) code below.

Minor point: the 2nd arg INITIAL-INPUT of read-string is
depreciated.  New code should use instead DEFAULT-VALUE, see the
docstring of read-string.  (I believe the reason for this policy
change has been that some people find a non-nil INITIAL-INPUT too
obtrusive.)  However, using the region as DEFAULT-VALUE wouldn't
allow one to edit this string as an argument for bbdb-search-read.
So in other code I have copied the value of the region to the input
history (provided the region is active).  Then you can step through
the input history with C-p and C-n in the usual way.  One can even
in the end again remove the region from the input history if the
user decided to use a modified string or she did something
completely different (so that the input history is not getting
populated with anything irrelvant).

Roland