bbdb-user

Transition from v2 to v3

From: Pascal Quesseveur
Subject: Transition from v2 to v3
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2022 11:41:07 +0200

Hello,

I have just installed bbdb v3 with emacs 28.1 on Windows. Coming from
bbdb v2, this is my first experience with bbdb v3. I have downloaded
bbdb 3.2.2.1, untar and replace the bbdb v2 directory by the new one
in the lisp load path.

I use the same initialization as previously:

(bbdb-initialize 'gnus 'rmail 'sc)

I have put some definitions relative to bbdb v2 only:

(when (and (boundp 'bbdb-version) (eq bbdb-version 2))
  ...)

I have 2 main questions:

  1. How should we use bbdb? I was used to running the bbdb command,
     then a string to search for, and bbdb displayed all the records
     containing that string. Now bbdb command seems to no longer exist.

  2. When I launch gnus I get an error about bbdb-insinuate-gnus
     function which is not found. I was calling that function with
     version 2, and I have put that call in a test about
     bbdb-version. So normally this call is no longer executed. Did I
     miss something?

--
Pascal Quesseveur
pquessev@gmail.com