Re: [Beaver-devel] TODO additions

From: Leslie Polzer
Subject: Re: [Beaver-devel] TODO additions
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 19:17:29 +0100

On Wed, 12 Mar 2003 18:58:51 -0500
Michael Terry <address@hidden> wrote:

> I'm pretty happy with it -- it's an interesting read if you are into
> useability.  I'm assuming you know where it is --
> http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gup/hig/ just in case.  I
> particularly like it because it means we can outsource the burden of
> making Beaver user-friendly by just adhering to this standard.
Downloading it right now...

"Don't add buttons for Help, Close or Quit to your toolbar by default,
as these are rarely used [...]"

I don't feel so. One of the first things I did was to search for a
close button to get rid of a file. I'd like to have a close button
because I don't think the HIG reason for leaving it out are
applicable to a text editor, esp. a programmer's text editor.

> >Additional and extraordinary syntax hightlighting feature proposal:
> >[...]
> Sounds cool.  It's a feature I've often missed.
I think it's strange that no one has it yet, not even dedicated
syntax hightlighting programs.
I have already done some studies on this in Perl and were quite
successful (I can sent those along with a test file to you if you
wish). Only the HTML I use is making a mess with its quotes.
How is format stuff handled with GtkTextView? Please excuse
my questions on this, but I have never worked with those
widgets before...
With a Lexer this might be even faster - I have
not accomodized myself in practical ways  with Lex, though.

> > How about your experience with regular expressions?
> Not much, I'm afraid.
Want to learn?

> > Another thing: I'd like to have line numbering
> > [...]
>
> Aren't there four windows around a GtkTextView
> (gtk_text_view_get_window)?  You could stick a GtkTextView inside one of
> them, have it be non-editable, and be full of lines with numbers.  I
> think that might scroll with the view.  Not sure.
Oh well - and if they don't we could do that manually quite nice I guess.

> BTW, I'm going to be taking a vacation from this Saturday to the next.
Oh, so it's your turn now to take a vacation and mine to code? ;)
> You'll have CVS all to yourself.  (assuming you can access it)  ;)
Yes, the Savannah admin kindly helped me out yesterday.

I am also going to update the web page.

Leslie