[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [Beaver-devel] beaver API
Re: [Beaver-devel] beaver API
Mon, 14 Jul 2008 21:50:36 +0200
Thunderbird 22.214.171.124 (X11/20080505)
It's not that much of a problem to edit interface.c ;) maybe I
exaggerated it a bit. You're even invited to help me improve it =D but I
know you're busy with the plugins.
I haven't been working on Beaver for a few days, because I am also
working on eNjoy (http://launchpad.net/enjoy), a new project of mine.
I think it would still be a good idea to update our local copy of Beaver
regularly from the CVS, so we get all the changes other developers make.
I see you did a lot of work on the api functions, you already made a
beaver.h header to include and doxygen comments. And the functions a
kind of OO (get/set) ^^. I think the functions you thought of are the
most important ones, I can't think or more at the moment. Maybe if we
think of some possible plugins, we will also find the API functions
needed for them. For example: color picker, extra highlighting
languages, CVS/SVN-access, patch-creator(diff).
If we are creating our own message boxes, maybe we could also add Beaver
artwork to them. If we had a designer, that person could design a
stylish Beaver-head-with-exclamation-mark and
Beaver-head-with-question-mark for those boxes.
I know this is just a small detail, but I love those small details.
I'll try to change some message boxes to the Beaver API message boxes.
Tobias Heinzen schreef:
I finished writing some API functions. There are the 8 functions so far:
If you got ideas for functions, let me know i will implement those. we
have to make sure that we use these api functions also in our code
(this will reduce code duplication) and we can change the
implementation later more easier. As you can see, I've added function
for removing and adding menu items, yay ^^
I also had to change 2 lines of code in interface.c (sorry they were
needed). one is to call plugin_init right before entering into main
look (gtk_main). the other change was "moving" the standard.xml file
into a virtual resource dir. this change was necessary so that there's
no error when installing the application (as happened before with the
pixmaps). I would also recommend to put a sample config and wordfile
into this "resource directory" and copy them into the users config dir
if they need them (so far they get generated, and that's using up
space in beavers binary file and thus increasing memory footprint).
To not receive any errors when testing the application configure the
application with /tmp as prefix (eg. run "./configure --prefix=/tmp")
and then a "make install". this will install beaver into the temp
directory, that means that you have to do a "make install" every time
you reboot your computer, but at least you do not change anything on
your current installation.
Next step for me is: Plugin Manager ^^ (no worries, don't have to
Beaver-devel mailing list