Re: [beaver-devel] interface.c update

From: Tobias Heinzen
Subject: Re: [beaver-devel] interface.c update
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 21:36:16 +0200

Double 12 wrote:
A fantastic result, the whole everything works fine and the close buttons on the tabs are a welcome innovation.
A few questions:

    * In the preferences dialog, some check items and drop-down menus
      don't work right anymore and use deprecated GtkItemFactory code.
      Are we going to fix them, or just remove them, since many of the
      options can also be set via the toolbar/menubar?

the preference dialog is getting changed. it wasn't part of the interface.c (it's in prefs.c). I'm currently thinking if I should put it into interface.c or leave it in prefs.c. There are options, that are going to get removed and added.

    * Beaver checks documents for valid UTF-8. Is this really
      necessary? Because when I try to open a document with just a
      wrong copyright sign in it, the whole document doesn't open.
      That's quite disappointing for users.

Well I don't think so. Don't know why this is so, but this get's updated when the refactoring of filesops.c is done.

    * Maybe you can advise (or help) me with the Ascii Art plugin.
      Shall I draw the ascii art words letter by letter, or line by line?

definetively line by line. when you do character by character you have to rearrange the cursor everytime. I don't know any ascii-art rendering engine, but I think that most of them will prerender into an array, from which you then could generate line-by-line text output, so line-by-line is preferable.

greets
Tobias