Re: [Beaver-devel] Patch: warning removal && TODO's

From: t.heinzen
Subject: Re: [Beaver-devel] Patch: warning removal && TODO's
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 17:32:52 +0100

Well that hole business with the Syntax Highlighting is
complicated (especially for beaver ^^). They way it's
handled now is a little bit, well, ugly. But the principle
is not that bad (using these marks from gtkTextView). The
other thing is that we now have just one big file that
describes the syntax highlighting which makes editing and
upgrading it a little bit hard.

I also looked at some libraries. Scintilla was the first (a
collegue of mine suggested it). The problem is: it's for
c++ so this is probably a no-go. vim uses in my knowledge
ctags or some other crazy code ^^ i don't know how this is
applicable on gtkTextView (since vim and joe work on the
console level, probably with ncurses).

the other thing is that every new library adds a dependency
to beaver, which we want to avoid. so i came up with an
idea some time ago, to create simple xml files (glib
includes a small xml parsing algorithm) and to optimize the
marking/tagging in the gtkTextView (at the moment, i think,
this is done by looking up every possible keyword in the
text, leading to passing through the text multiple times,
instead of going through all the words in the text once and
looking up if this is a keyword or not).

the main feature of beaver is and should ever be, that it
is very small (that's why damn small linux uses beaver as
text editor).

Greets
Tobias