[Beaver-devel] Happy 2009

From: Double 12
Subject: [Beaver-devel] Happy 2009
Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2009 02:17:17 +0100

First of all, happy 2009 everybody! Seems to be a good year, especially for Beaver.
And so 2009 starts with a fun idea from my side, I already discussed it on IRC in 2008. :P
Beaver is a GTK+2 editor, which is getting better and better. There are a lot of other GTK+2 text editors, but we try to be different by being lightweight and modular.
But why not also work on obsolete platforms where users are really in need of a good and modern editor? For example: GTK1 and KDE3. I think users that still have a GTK1-only system can't find a modern editor: they can only install older versions of editors. We can give them an editor that is still being maintained.
My proposal: the creation of some CVS modules to work on these versions of Beaver. See them as side-projects: we just work on them when we want some fun and have some time left, it doesn't have to be serious. Our serious mainline is the GTK+2 branch.
We could make a GTK1 version, starting from the 0.2.7 release. The development doesn't have to go the same way the GTK2 version does: we just implement the things we like to add ourselves.
If we want to create a branch for another toolkit (like KDE3), we could start from scratch (would cost at least 2 years of work) or make a fork of a dead text editor project, and change it in the way we like.

Hope you like this weird idea.
Double12