Re: [linuxiran] Bigining of linux

From: Aryan Ameri
Subject: Re: [linuxiran] Bigining of linux
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 19:04:51 +0300

Well, I think everywhere people agree that the start of the Linus
kernel, was this message:

From: address@hidden (Linus Benedict Torvalds)
Newsgroups: comp.os.minux
Subject: What would you like to see most in minix? Summary: small poll
for my new operating system

 Hello everybody out three using minix - I'm doing a (free) Operating
system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for
386(486) AT clones. This has been brewing since April, and is starting
to get ready. I'd like any feedback on Things people like/dislike in
minix, as my OS resembles it somewhat (same physical layout of the
file-system (due to practical reasons) among other things). I've
currently ported bash (1.08) and gcc(1.40), and things seem to work.
This implies that I'll get something practical within a few months, and
I'd like to know what features most people would want. Any Suggestions
are welcome, but I won't promise I'll implement them J Linus
(address@hidden)
PS. Yes - it's free of any minix code, and it has a multi-threaded fs.
It is NOT potable (uses 386 task switching etc), and it probably never
Will support anything other than AT- hard disks, as that's all I have.

PS: Arash, a couple of days ago, I gave a book (Free as in Freedom) to
Arash Z. If you feel like reading a book about RMS, get it from him.

Cheers

--
/* My name is Jehovah. I have a special plan to save the universe, but
because of heavenly security reasons I can't tell you what that plan