Re: [linuxiran] Re: [Kde-i18n-fa] Debian CDs

From: Aryan Ameri
Subject: Re: [linuxiran] Re: [Kde-i18n-fa] Debian CDs
Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 21:28:39 +0300

On Sunday 11 May 2003 15:18, Hossein S. Zadeh wrote:
> [...]
Mandrake has some decent touches, but I have had used 8.0, 8.2, and 9.0
and all of them have bugs. For example in 9.0 10% of the time I can't
start alsa (sound server) and 80% of the time, the supermount thing
doesn't work. But I have heard that 9.1 is better.

As Arash and Hossein adviced, if your only problem with Debian is X,
then you can mess with the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file, and get it to
work.

I have installed Debian woody on 3 laptops to date (Toshiba, IBM and
Compaq), and Debian hasn't been able to detect the card of any of them.
In a nuttshell, Debian's auto configure tools are worst among all other
distros, because it is the only distro committed to support all
architectures. But The X config file is clearly documentd, so it
shouldn't be hard to set it up.

And while Hossein mentiones some good X configuration tools, I would
suggest if you have got mandrake on the machine, then simply copy it's
configuration file and use it in debian. You may have to change some
parts, like the path to fonts, but the sections about graphic card and
modules and screen and keyboard and mouse, will work on debian.

After all, they are all just GNU/Linux ;-)

Cheers
--
/* The best part about banging your
head against a wall is when you stop.