Re: [linuxiran] Kernel Modules Compilation

From: Ali Bahar
Subject: Re: [linuxiran] Kernel Modules Compilation
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 15:40:22 -0400

'RedHat' is irrelevant. Only your gcc version is relevant. A kernel
compilation will not use any system header files or libraries.

As, IIRC, Aryan mentioned, your particular gcc version may be
buggy/incompatible. But, before so judging, I'd need to see the
compiler output. The requisite investigative steps would start with:

  1. what is the compiler output? This ought always be in your first post;
  2. have you successfully built a vanilla kernel with this kernel-gcc
  combination? Ie without any of your own options;
  3. does a vanilla build always choke in the same place?
  4. does a static vanilla build (ie without any modules) succeed?

Better yet, use the recommended gcc version to build this.

Either way, I'd recommend against posting a gcc bug. In my limited
experience, the potential for a false 'bug' report is far higher than
this being a genuine, un-anticipated, bug -- especially so in major
version transitions, like 2.x to 3.x!

regards,
ali
PS my latest build is 2.4.20 with 2.95.4. Custom.

--
                     Right of Return
               for all Palestinian refugees.