ccrtp-devel

Re: [Ccrtp-devel] SRTP proposal for ccRTP

From: David Sugar
Subject: Re: [Ccrtp-devel] SRTP proposal for ccRTP
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 16:04:10 -0400

Werner Dittman,

secure RTP is very strategic to what I wish to do with GNU ccRTP, in
part because I am doing a lot of development on peer based voip
telephone servers, unlike the spoke-wheel IP-PBX model, which imposes a
man-in-the-middle transcoding tap on any "secure" connections.  So
naturally I am very interested in any development in this area,
especially if there is a relatively complete implementation to work from
that we can already integrate.  Oddly enough I was just talking about
this topic earlier today...

ccrtp does not directly offer higher level session timers, although if
the callback hooks are held in ccrtp, an external application could
still activate them and manage session timing on behalf of the stack.
Or we could add a separate session timer thread into ccrtp that could be
activated and used to manage the timers and callbacks for that purpose.
 Since your ZRTP implimentation is a new derived class that sits on top
of the existing RTP (soon SRTP) framework, it maybe makes sense to add a
separate thread object for session timers as part of the new class.

The overall approach you have implemented seems quite reasonable and
workable.  Should receipt processing for srtp packets be done before
onRTPPacketRecv, or after?  The idea for that particular hook was to be
able to prefilter and perhaps even to proxy unmodified encoded packets.
 This question depends largely on the practicality of proxying srtp.

Federico Pouzols would probably be the person most involved in
integrating new code.  I might add support for a configure option to
optionally disable openssl/srtp if possible since we also do arm builds
of ccrtp for embedded applications, and it could be nice if we have
options to strip down the code easily for those that may need to.

Generally as a GNU package we prefer that copyright assignment is
executed through the FSF.  Please cut and paste the following text into
an email, complete the questionnaire, and send to address@hidden,
address@hidden and address@hidden  You can send the
changes/patches/replacement source files through the public list if you
like and/or directly to me and Federico.

---- Begin Cut and Paste ----
REQUEST:  SEND FORM FOR PAST AND FUTURE CHANGES

[What is the name of the program or package you're contributing to?]
GNU ccRTP

[Did you copy any files or text written by someone else in these changes?
Even if that material is free software, we need to know about it.]

[Do you have an employer who might have a basis to claim to own
your changes?  Do you attend a school which might make such a claim?]

[For the copyright registration, what country are you a citizen of?]

[What year were you born?]

[Please write your email address here.]

[Please write your postal address here.]

[Which files have you changed so far, and which new files have you written
so far?]

---- End Cut and Paste ----