ccrtp-devel

Re: [Ccrtp-devel] Multicast and TTL - Again

From: Federico Montesino Pouzols
Subject: Re: [Ccrtp-devel] Multicast and TTL - Again
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 16:20:41 +0200 (CEST)

Hi Tom,

First, yes, you are right setMulticast should be called before calling
setTimeToLive on a socket object. Otherwise, a socket error object is
returned (that should warn about multicast mode not being enabled on
the socket).

Do I supppose it right that RTP packets are being sent with TTL=32?
If so, I think the problem could be sorted out by moving the setMulticastTTL
method (in the RTPSession base classes) to the protected or public
sections. Then, you would just have to do s->setMulticastTTL(32) (or
setMulticastTTL(32) within a derived class). This is a bug that should
be fixed for the next release. Could you confirm if this works for you?

As an alternative to allow for setting multicast parameters of the control
(RTCP) socket, a "getCSO" method could be added, but I think the first
solution is tidier.