Re: [certi-dev] Shall CERTI use libRTI-NG and libFedTime?

From: Pierre Siron
Subject: Re: [certi-dev] Shall CERTI use libRTI-NG and libFedTime?
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 09:20:28 +0100

Gotthard, Petr a écrit :
> Dear CERTI friends,
> I'd like to modify the CERTI libraries to be more "standard".
> Unfortunatelly, this change may require you to slightly modify Makefiles
> of your federates.
>
> The problem is that linking a federate with CERTI requires "-lRTI
> -lCERTI", while other HLA RTI often use "-lRTI-NG -lFedTime".
>
> It's thus much harder to create a "universal" Makefile that easily links
> a federate with CERTI or other HLA RTI. The biggest problem is that the
> proprietary libCERTI contains symbols that should be in libRTI-NG
> (RTI::xxxSetFactory, RTI::Exception) and symbols that should be in
> libFedTime (FedTime).
>
> Therefore I propose to
>  - move all RTI:: namespace symbols from libCERTI to libRTI
>  - move FedTime from libCERTI to (newly created) libFedTime
>  - rename libRTI to libRTI-NG
>
> When doing so
>  - CERTI will become more compatible with other HLA RTI
>  - you may need to replace "-lRTI -lCERTI" in your Makefiles by
> "-lRTI-NG -lFedTime" (if you don't use FindCERTI)
>

> Would this change be very annoying for you?

Dear Petr,
this change would not be very annoying,
I am concerned by the perennity of the RTI-NG name
which is a reference to the last RTI of the DMSO.
Is is possible to have many synonyms ?

The move of FedTime is justified, in particular if we consider
that this library may be provided by the user ...
I am not sure that we are ready to accept that.

Best regards,
Pierre