[certi-dev] Problem with VariableLengthData

From: Christoph Laesche
Subject: [certi-dev] Problem with VariableLengthData
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 14:29:00 +0200

Hi,

I am using several own datatypes which I serialize to a
VariableLengthData object to transfer it using CERTI (w/ rti1516). I
noticed that the transfered data does not arrive correctly. The
VariableLengthData object which I receive in the other federate does not
have the correct size.

I tracked down the problem and found out that it occurs when the data
contains a byte of the value 0. It seems as if the problem is the usage
of string as ParameterValue_t because the .size() call will return the
string length and therefore will take a 0 byte as an \0, thus ending the
string (although there is data behind it).

Is this a known problem and is there a fix for it? How have you
serialized your data objects without having a 0 in it?

Thanks in advance,

Christoph Laesche