cfengine-develop

RE: [Cfengine-develop] Development plan / meeting

From: Bas van der Vlies
Subject: RE: [Cfengine-develop] Development plan / meeting
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 12:30:13 +0100

After reading the mails. This are my answers and thoughts:
 - I Live in the Netherlands/Amsterdam.

 - Do you mean with kickstart the automatic installation of
   UNIX machines or just to automate the process of redhat
   installations? If it is only for redhat then is not that
   interested topic for me.

 - A Wiki setup would be nice.

 - Now we can check if processes are running but we can not
   test the functionality of a process. Look if the http
   daemon is working properly. I know i can do it with modules.
   Mabye we must setup a repository with monitor scripts for
   different kind of daemons.

 - If there is a major version upgrade, eg 2 --> 3. Then
   we must also maintain cfengine 2 for a while with patches.
   This was not the situation for version 1. So we had to
   lot of work for version 1.

 - If the parser/lexer is rewritten. We can remove a lot of code
   from cfengine. Like checking if we suppply the right keywords
   with the right values, eg: Now there are checks everywhere
   if we supplied a integer to a keyword. I personnaly think
   that this will make the cfengine source more readable,
   extendable and maintenable.

 - Looks like a good idea a pluging model for cfenvd. Just the
   way like the ganglia monitoring toolkit works.