cfengine-develop

RE: [Cfengine-develop] Re: Homework

From: Andrews, Martin
Subject: RE: [Cfengine-develop] Re: Homework
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 10:23:37 -0500

Andrew,

I am not convinced that we must throw out backward compatibility for syntax
- sure some ugly parts should be deprecated at least. I think we should
strive to maintain compatibility until we absolutely have to. For example,
the network protocol incompatibility between 1.x and 2.x seemed gratuitous -
the 2.0 cfservd should have been able to talk to 1.x machines too (I am not
casting aspersions here - I understand that this would have required more
work and I didn't volunteer to do it). This incompatibility has slowed my
adoption of cfengine 2.x - I am only starting to roll it out now.

It it turns out that we can get some wonderful new features only via
incompatible syntax changes - so be it. I find that software developers are
too quick to dump compatibility.

All that said - maybe would could have runtime settings that controlled
whether single quotes did interpolation and begin deprecating interpolation
with them.

Oh yes - if it is not too painful to keep I like the unquoted strings in
cfengine. Just require quoted strings if you need white space in the string
(or if you want to avoid interpolation).

Martin