cfengine-develop

Re: [Cfengine-develop] Re: Homework

From: Luke A. Kanies
Subject: Re: [Cfengine-develop] Re: Homework
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 09:38:03 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 6 Mar 2003, Andrew Stribblehill wrote:

> However, are we all agreed that strings should always be quoted
> somehow? That's a bigger difference, to my mind, since it affects
> things like signal=kill.

I think this is a _great_ idea.  Current treatment of strings by the
parser is quite complicated and differs considerably depending on where
the string is used.

I'd very much like it if all strings had to be quoted; this includes
things like the filenames in 'editfiles' sections.  Currently the cfengine
tokenizer is very dependent on syntax to figure out what kind of token it
should return; quoting strings would solve a lot of that.  (And having
a line termination character like ';' would solve a lot more.)

--
Hiroshima '45               Chernobyl '86               Windows '95