cfengine-develop

Re: [Cfengine-develop] my own branch of the tree

From: Bas van der Vlies
Subject: Re: [Cfengine-develop] my own branch of the tree
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 14:29:24 +0100

Just my 2 cents.

When we just started the development team there was also much talking about the issues about the parser, lists and associative arrays (hashes in perl and dictionaries in python, every language has is own description).

I like the idea to have list and associative arrays. Now it depends on the actionsquence if a variable is interpeted as has list or a string.
So if the parser supports this kind of type it makes it much cleaner.

In the early days of the development team i had some suggestions for the
parser/lexer. It has changed and i did not touch it. It always good to look how other projects have done the parser/lexer stuff. I still think a lot of the C-code in cfengine to check if we have supported the right kind of variable (eg ip-address, numbers, etc) can be done in lexer/parser which elminates a lot of code. But Mark is right that this is a lot of work, bu we have to start somewhere. If the parser/lexer is good then it can also be easily extended with new types and functions.

*  Bas van der Vlies                     e-mail: address@hidden      *