[Chicken-hackers] Windows binary limited to C:\Program Files

From: Brandon J. Van Every
Subject: [Chicken-hackers] Windows binary limited to C:\Program Files
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2006 14:53:49 -0800

Unless some new mechanism was added for MSVC, the Windows binary is hardwired for C:\Program Files. That's not so great, although it does sidestep the issue of "real" installation. The .zip binary contains no documentation of this, nor any of the usual READMEs or INSTALL-CMake.txt, for that matter. The method of installation should at least be documented.

Frankly I would prefer not distributing a Windows binary to this situation. Making the user build Chicken is more work for the user, but they have to get a working C compiler set up anyways to use Chicken. Well, barring the interpreter, perhaps. On the other hand, creating a runtime configuration for a Chicken binary is not a project I'm going to undertake. Too much work, doesn't address any of my own priorities.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every