[Chicken-hackers] let the Windows binary go bye-bye

From: Brandon J. Van Every
Subject: [Chicken-hackers] let the Windows binary go bye-bye
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2006 09:31:28 -0800

felix winkelmann wrote:
On 11/5/06, Brandon J. Van Every <address@hidden> wrote:
Unless some new mechanism was added for MSVC, the Windows binary is
hardwired for C:\Program Files.  That's not so great, although it does
sidestep the issue of "real" installation.  The .zip binary contains no
documentation of this, nor any of the usual READMEs or
INSTALL-CMake.txt, for that matter.  The method of installation should
at least be documented.

Frankly I would prefer not distributing a Windows binary to this
situation.  Making the user build Chicken is more work for the user, but
they have to get a working C compiler set up anyways to use Chicken.
Well, barring the interpreter, perhaps.

I completely agree with you. But since the installation path is compiled
into the binary (and we probably don't start again with CHICKEN_HOME),
I see no other solution (and had to make choice). I also agree that building
from sources is the best method.

We can drop the binary win32 distribution, but I don't know whether
that is desirable.

Well let's try a straw poll: who would miss it if it went bye-bye? I wouldn't.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every