Re: [Chicken-hackers] let the Windows binary go bye-bye

From: Brandon J. Van Every
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] let the Windows binary go bye-bye
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2006 10:04:40 -0800

John Cowan wrote:
Brandon J. Van Every scripsit:

Well, barring the interpreter, perhaps.

There are better interpreters.

Well let's try a straw poll: who would miss it if it went bye-bye?  I
wouldn't.

This isn't the place to poll,

Ok, agreed.

and chicken-users is only somewhat
better.

Well, Chicken has the users that it has.  They're the people to ask.  I don't think asking on comp.lang.scheme is really appropriate, as it will engender a lot of discussion of theoreticals from people who don't actually use Chicken.  Is there any Chicken-specific forum other than address@hidden ?  In any event I will begin a straw poll there.

If what you're really saying is, "We should poll using an actual polling interface, such as Yahoo! Groups has," I don't see a point in that.  What I'm looking for, is for someone to come out of the woodwork and say, "Your idea sucks!  If you get rid of the Windows binary I will forswear and curse Chicken forever!  How dare you!"  In which case we'll have a data point about the Windows binary actually being desired / used.  On the other hand if crickets chirp, then we can conclude that nobody actually uses it or cares.

I mean, come on, Dan only noticed just the other day that MSVCRTD.DLL was missing and he didn't respond to my question about his setup.  Maybe that means he solved his setup problem, or that he's very busy.  But it could also be an indication that there just aren't many MSVC people out there, let alone who care.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every