Re: [Chicken-hackers] CMake 2.4.5 ships

From: Brandon J. Van Every
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] CMake 2.4.5 ships
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2006 01:09:03 -0800

felix winkelmann wrote:
On 12/5/06, Brandon J. Van Every <address@hidden> wrote:
CMake 2.4.5 has shipped.  Apparently CMake 2.4.4 had some major
problems, prompting a quick patch release.  I have bumped Chicken's
build requirement to CMake 2.4.5 because I really don't want to know
what CMake 2.4.4's problems were, if any.  Most users can obtain CMake
2.4.5 binaries from http://www.cmake.org .  Cygwin users need to compile
CMake 2.4.5 from sources.  I did this, it works fine.  I did get an
error about CVS or something during the initial configuration, but it
didn't affect the actual build.  If you get any kind of error, just plod
on.  I don't know if it was specific to my system and I don't feel like
trying to track it down.

Well, 2.4.4 worked fine for me, do we really have to require 2.4.5?

The difficulties that people had with 2.4.4 are very serious, so the answer is "yes." Download your new binary and be happy. Not interested in having 2.4.4 reflect badly on Chicken for unknown reasons. It's never about "works on my box."

I don't plan to chase every latest greatest CMake release, if there is no need. But in this case, there is clearly a need. Kitware would probably like CMake 2.4.4 to, ah, disappear.

Cheers,
Brandon