Re: [Chicken-hackers] Re: [Chicken-users] Chicken 2.41 for Debian stable

From: felix winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] Re: [Chicken-users] Chicken 2.41 for Debian stable (3.1)
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 22:18:39 +0100

On 12/9/06, Brandon J. Van Every <address@hidden> wrote:

I notice that the file "control" says:

 CHICKEN is a Scheme compiler which compiles a subset of R5RS into C.
 It uses the ideas presented in Baker's paper "Cheney on the MTA", and
 is small and easily extendable, although not a production quality or
 high-performance Scheme system.

I take issue with several of these statements.  First, unless I'm very
mistaken, I don't think billing Chicken as only implementing "a subset
of R5RS" is fair.  It may be strictly true, but it's also strictly true
of almost every other Scheme out there.  I'll let other people chime in
on whether Chicken is "production quality" or not; I think it probably
is for some purposes.  I think to say it's "not a high performance
Scheme system" is just plain out wrong.  It's not the highest performing
Scheme out there, but it is certainly performance oriented.

Is this just outdated crud from some really old version of Chicken?  I
would like to see these negative statements go away.

That blurb was originally by me, back in the times when I was still
humble... ;-)

http://galinha.ucpel.tche.br:8081/blog/blog.ssp