Re: [Chicken-hackers] Debian package

From: Brandon J. Van Every
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] Debian package
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 17:20:41 -0800

Ivan Raikov wrote:
       What I am proposing is to copy the Debian files from the 2.3
package that currently exists, into the main Chicken SVN repository, so
that they can be maintained by interested parties (i.e. me ;-) This
directory will not affect configure; make; make install in any way; if
you are not interested in building Debian packages, you would not even
notice the additional files. The only change I'd like to make to the
main Makefile.am is to amend the `dist' rule to include the `debian'
subdirectory when you run `make dist`.

"The only change?" :-) And in one breath, you point out the problem. You see, Makefile.am is *not* the way anybody's supposed to be building distros. People are supposed to be using CMake and typing "make dist". It's supposed to be the One True Way To Build Distros. But Felix had some difficulty with CMake on Linux a month or so ago, and I think he was hacking his way around it for a time. Rather than learning how to deal with CMake's bugs. Don't know what the circumstances are now, as I've been preoccupied. I do know that CMake 2.4.5 has fewer bugs, and Felix said some Linux problems went away.

My point is, we all need to be on the SAME PAGE about how distros are built. I'm not pointing fingers; I've been as stressed out as anyone else, actually moreso. But under pressure, people tend to stick with what they know. That damages the reliability of the build. Code diverges, specific items stop working, and then people don't fix them because it's a PITA.

So what I believe needs to happen is:

- you need to be given proper Darcs access
- I need to provide you with the CMake stubs to fire up "make dist" correctly for Debian. Sounds trivial enough. - you need to implement your Debian packaging, test it, and maintain it, i.e. take ownership.
- you need to use CMake to do "make dist"
- I need to provide whatever system deduction checks and error messages are useful for this, so that when (inevitably), someone breaks the Debian distro, we know it has happened. - Felix shouldn't have to do anything, unless there's some lurking horror about texi that we've forgotten about.

Do you agree?

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every