Re: [Chicken-hackers] Build problems

From: Brandon J. Van Every
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] Build problems
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 19:07:47 -0800

Tony Sidaway wrote:

This is done in the source directory of whichever version of chicken I
already have installed at the time (I use the subversion repository,
and have a tarball of 2.5 as a backup).

Canonically, I do so-called "out of directory" builds. That is, I run either CMakeSetup or CCMake, and select a different output directory than the source directory. In this way the CMake source tree is left pristine. There is never any need for "make clean" as if you really want everything squeaky clean, you just nuke the output directory and start over. Granted, that isn't strictly necessary in many instances, but whenever I'm wondering about what's going on, I do so. So as a first step, I would like you to do an out of directory build and see if you have the same problems.

If you have been intermixing ./configure and CMake builds in the same directory, and "make clean" isn't sufficiently thorough, that could also be a source of problems. I would recommend that you start with a completely pristine Chicken source tree to eliminate this possibility.

Prior to make install, I can, for instance, run csi without any problems:

$ ./csi
(banner omitted)
Version 2.517 - linux-unix-gnu-x86 - [ dload ptables applyhook cmake ]
(c)2000-2007 Felix L. Winkelmann

But the installed version fails:

$ csi
csi: symbol lookup error: csi: undefined symbol: C_match_toplevel

This seems like an odd message.  The symbol seems to be in all
relevant libraries:

$ for FILE in /usr/local/lib/lib*chicken.[as]*; do echo $FILE $(nm
$FILE|grep C_match_toplevel);done

/usr/local/lib/libchicken.a 00000120 T C_match_toplevel
/usr/local/lib/libchicken.so 000379f7 T C_match_toplevel
/usr/local/lib/libchicken.so.0 00021e33 T C_match_toplevel
/usr/local/lib/libchicken.so.0.0.0 00021e33 T C_match_toplevel
/usr/local/lib/libuchicken.a 00000120 T C_match_toplevel
/usr/local/lib/libuchicken.so 00036eef T C_match_toplevel
/usr/local/lib/libuchicken.so.0 00021757 T C_match_toplevel
/usr/local/lib/libuchicken.so.0.0.0 00021757 T C_match_toplevel

I've no idea what's going on here.

Or it could just be a bug.  But let's eliminate build issues.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every