Re: [Chicken-hackers] Build problems

From: Tony Sidaway
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] Build problems
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 21:08:20 +0000

On 1/27/07, Brandon J. Van Every <address@hidden> wrote:

How old was that old copy of Chicken?  Maybe it didn't have the unified
hardwired *.h files for paths, and used some other mechanism for finding
stuff.  I can't promise that current builds are bug free, but we'd need
to verify a library collision problem with current builds only, to
consider it a problem worthy of fixing.  I just think the older builds
were too ad-hoc to do much in the way of support or corner case checking.

I'm sorry if I've confused you.  I am installing into /usr/local/lib.
The significance of the old version of chicken in /usr was that the
newly built version of chicken looked for its libraries in /usr/lib
and found the old ones--which lacked some required symbols.  The
runtime of the new chicken executable loaded one of the libraries,
complained about one of the missing symbols, and aborted.  This was
okay behavior as far as I'm concerned.

The correct, up to date libraries are in /usr/local/lib, but the
executables built and installed with CMake in the same run don't seem
to know to look there for them.   Now that I've removed the old
version of chicken and done another clean build into /usr/local, the
new version of chicken is no longer seeing any libraries and it aborts
saying so.

I don't know why the installed chicken looks for its libraries in the
wrong place.  This was an out-of-directory install from the subversion
respository, on Ubuntu using CMake  2.5-20070124.

I'll repeat the process on another Ubuntu system to see what happens.