Re: [Chicken-hackers] Build problems

From: Brandon J. Van Every
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] Build problems
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 22:05:58 -0800

Tony Sidaway wrote:
My other Ubuntu system behaves in the same way.  I think you've both
worked out why this was happening--the CMake configuration doesn't
provide a hard-coded path in the target files so the user must
configure the system instead to ensure that the default path contains
the required libraries.

It seems there's plenty of RPATH functionality available in CMake. You just have to specify it, it's not automatic. Googling around, it seems there's some religion about whether RPATHs should be allowed; various OS distros ban them. If RPATH is indeed deemed politically correct, then according to http://public.kitware.com/pipermail/cmake/2006-July/010272.html all we have to do is:

"Just set INSTALL_RPATH on the module target to be the rpath needed in the install tree. Then things will just work."

I'm feeling a little hazy about RPATH religion so I welcome others' comments on it. I'm still not really a Linuxer. I have a nominally working Cell BE simulator on Fedora Core 6 now, but it was very boring to get to that point, and I'm sort of burned out about it.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every