[Chicken-hackers] Re: [SeaFunc] why Chicken?

From: Brandon J. Van Every
Subject: [Chicken-hackers] Re: [SeaFunc] why Chicken?
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 10:34:21 -0800

Michael Small wrote:

The list of eggs out there for Chicken really attracted me to it. But
what turned me away (temporarily? ) and has me thinking Scheme48
(except I don't see any way to make GUIs in it) was that syntax
extension only seemed to be supported in the compiler not in the
interpreter, at least in the build I looked at: Version 2 build 41
from the OpenBSD packages.

I would get on the Chicken mailing list and ask about current capabilities. I don't know the answer to this myself. I do know that development in the Darcs repository is very active. We are currrently on Chicken 2.517. 2.41 seems like awhile ago, maybe 6 months old.

I can say based on recent posts in the OpenBSD ports mailing list
Chicken seems to be the most popular Scheme implementation to the
people there. It's one of only three or four Scheme ports that works
on my plaform, OpenBSD/PowerPC, while there don't seem to be any
official Common Lisp ports that will work for me (perhaps elcs could
work?). So portability to odd platforms does seem a real strength.

Interesting data point.  Yeah, retargetability can pay off.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every