Re: [Chicken-hackers] Re: [SeaFunc] why Chicken?

From: felix winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] Re: [SeaFunc] why Chicken?
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 20:17:08 +0100

On 1/31/07, Brandon J. Van Every <address@hidden> wrote:
Michael Small wrote:

> The list of eggs out there for Chicken really attracted me to it. But
> what turned me away (temporarily? ) and has me thinking Scheme48
> (except I don't see any way to make GUIs in it) was that syntax
> extension only seemed to be supported in the compiler not in the
> interpreter, at least in the build I looked at: Version 2 build 41
> from the OpenBSD packages.

I would get on the Chicken mailing list and ask about current
capabilities.  I don't know the answer to this myself.  I do know that
development in the Darcs repository is very active.  We are currrently
on Chicken 2.517.  2.41 seems like awhile ago, maybe 6 months old.

Syntax extensions should work both in the compiler and interpreter.
The setup can sometimes be a bit complex (syntax at compile-time and/or
run-time, etc.), but basically it works. With more information about the
kind of problem I can say more.