Re: [Chicken-hackers] SDL as an OpenGL windowng toolkit

From: Brandon J. Van Every
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] SDL as an OpenGL windowng toolkit
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2007 23:45:38 -0800

John Emhoff wrote:
felix winkelmann wrote:

   Are you sure we are talking about the same SDL? I mean
   http://www.libsdl.org.

| Yes we are. None of the leading open source 3D game engines are written on top of SDL.

Not sure I agree with you. I'm pretty sure Quake 4, the Unreal Tournaments and a bunch of other miscellaneous games use SDL.

Do you have any precise information on the role of SDL in these engines? I've found some references but they're not terribly clear.

Anywhoo, it sounds like you guys have gotten some stuff under way. Do you have a source repository up somewhere?

Not yet as I've been lazy. We're still eyeballing each other's code, and also the CPW and GLFW toolkits for starter code.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every