[Chicken-hackers] Ogre 3D engine

From: Brandon J. Van Every
Subject: [Chicken-hackers] Ogre 3D engine
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 18:13:11 -0800

Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
minh thu wrote:

Yep, I'm definitly interested in a 3d engine and will help in such a project.

Ok. For now, see if you can get http://www.ogre3d.org running and/or built on your system. Of the options I listed earlier, it definitely looks like the one with the most commercial relevance. It has some brand name recognition now, is getting used in a few indie titles, looks like it has Maya plugins, etc.

At least on Windows with Visual Studio .NET 2003, I'm getting very strong feelings of It Just Works [TM]. Downloaded their prebuilt SDK and it works fine. All of their Samples built, and most of them run correctly on my lowly GeForce4 Ti. Of course building from sources could be tougher, but I see no reason to bother to do that right now. If I were to use Ogre as an underlying library, I wouldn't even have to delve into the sources, for the most part.

So where does Chicken come into this? There are no fires to put out. I'm not used to things that just work. Where can Chicken be a value add over what's already there?

Sure, we could bind Ogre, but that's just busywork that I have no reason to do. Chicken needs to get actually used for something; prove that it's worth bothering with. We would need some kind of a "driving problem."

Thing is, I already have my own driving problem. My Ocean Mars game. And I don't need or particularly want partners working on it. Also I don't need to do it in Chicken. C++ is fine until I decide it's causing too much pain.

I always see people writing "game engine" layers on top of 3D engines. I'm not convinced there's a point to that, as opposed to just writing your specific game.

Efficient math operators would be useful to me. That's what I always wanted out of Chicken Scheme. Perhaps we could put Chicken through some kind of 3D number crunching demo. Of course, the question is whether Chicken can do a provably good job at it. If there are no performance advantages to Chicken, then people are just going to use Python, Ruby, or Lua. There are already Python and C# / .NET bindings for Ogre. Yet-another-scripting-language, by itself, is not a value add.

Maybe Continuations are a benefit somehow.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every