Re: [Chicken-hackers] Ogre 3D engine

From: felix winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] Ogre 3D engine
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 22:47:29 +0100

On 2/26/07, Brandon J. Van Every <address@hidden> wrote:

If I could say, "I can talk directly to C++.  I don't need the
monstrosity known as SWIG," that would be a value add.

If I could say, "Mine is fast, yours is slow," that would be a value add.

I don't know what continuations actually buy for game event control.
It's something I will contemplate.  I fear it'll be a gratuitously
different way to do things, rather than a genuinely useful or profitable
way to do things.

Any other suggestions?

- Faster than the usual scripting languages (and some code can be
 bummed quite heavily - not all, but some)
- much better C/C++ access
- Hard to reverse-engineer (when compiled)
- a more flexible scripting language (when interpreted)

I'm trying to remember why the Stormfront Studios guys blew off Lua.
Something about it being slow or hard to debug.  I asked whether what
was true when they made that decision, was still true today.  Time
passes in open source land and technologies improve.

Yes, I would be interested about that too (why they didn't use Lua).