Re: [Chicken-hackers] anybody good with cmake?

From: Brandon Van Every
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] anybody good with cmake?
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 11:25:58 -0400

On 8/14/07, felix winkelmann <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm one hair before giving up on cmake. I'm sure it is just because I'm
> too stupid, but it takes me considerable effort to make it do even
> trivial things.
>
> Is someone knowledgable enough and willing to help me with a few
> problems?

Well this post has caused me to redraft my response once already.
What should I be telling you?

Are we talking about ASM problems or other problems?

If you choose to use bleeding edge ASM capabilities from CMake CVS
head, and it proves to be difficult, that's to be expected.  This is
open source.  2 of the best core CMake developers have already
extended you help on this.  Either step up to the plate and slug
through the CVS head problems like a good open source developer, or
accept that the bleeding edge of CMake is not for you.

ADD_CUSTOM_COMMAND is the safe, well-tested, mainstream, typical way
of handling this kind of problem.  Chicken is the most extensively
commented example available of how to drive a non-C/C++ language with
ADD_CUSTOM_COMMAND.  If you don't understand this approach, then you
haven't even tried.  I'm happy to answer questions but really, it's
all based on build rituals you're intimately familiar with.

I'll refrain from addressing greater political issues for now.  I
think this kind of frustration is predictable when a community doesn't
put its full energies behind 1 build system.

I agree that CMake documentation is substandard.  It needs a major
infrastructural overhaul.  That's only going to happen if I personally
spearhead the effort, and I'm not prepared to do it right now.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every