[Chicken-hackers] complete change of build system

From: felix winkelmann
Subject: [Chicken-hackers] complete change of build system
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2007 19:08:01 +0200

Hello, y'all!

The time has come again for one of my well-known erratic changes of direction.

Don't fear - all will be for our all's best.

Extraterrestrial intelligent(?) beings have dictated a new build system to me,
which I faithfully transcribed. It is based on GNU Make, extremely simple,
quite easy to understand and even easier to customize. Naturally, everything
will fall to parts now, since I've done only basic testing on OS X, Linux and
mingw (the latter only halfway working natively - but fully working when
cross compiled!).

The general build procedure is like this:

% make PLATFORM=<my-platform>

(this isn't too bad, I think)

Countless variables can be set on the command line to tweak the
build. Supported platforms are linux and macosx, in the moment.
I successfully cross-built mingw binaries from linux. That's all so
far.

I would be *very* interested in *complete* build logs for Solaris,
Cygwin and BSD systems (including configuration and installation
steps, either with autotools or with cmake(VERBOSE=1)) for pre 2.7 chickens to
create platform-specific makefiles.

Chicken version is 2.701 now in SVN. Mario's scripts will try to create
snapshots (but fail), but this will be fixed soon.