Re: [Chicken-hackers] new release policy

From: felix winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] new release policy
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2007 21:37:32 +0200

On 9/2/07, Ivan Raikov <address@hidden> wrote:

>   I also think that it is good to have stable milestone releases every
> once in a while. It greatly simplifies binary package management and
> maintenance. Is there any way to convince you to bring back
> milestones? I am willing to put in whatever effort it takes to make
> stable releases, if you don't want to deal with that.

Here I must ask: what is "stable", in the context of chicken?

Regarding binary packages: I never liked them particularly, and it appears
to me sort of natural to install chicken from sources, as it's main job is to
generate and compile sources. But binary releases are of course more
convenient for a user and integrate better with all those (IMHO not very
useful) file-system hierarchy schemes.

Thank you for offering help with this. You are free to tag versions in the
svn repo and put up links (for example in the wiki) pointing to particular
tarballs, of course. But I'd be more happy if you would reconsider this,
with rerspect to the reasons for the change, which I listed in my
reply to Peter.

And please don't ask me which version is stable - I wouldn't know. :-)