[Chicken-hackers] Re: Make wars

From: Aleksej Saushev
Subject: [Chicken-hackers] Re: Make wars
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 11:14:49 +0300

Ivan Raikov <address@hidden> writes:

Top-posting fixed.

> John Cowan <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Aleksej Saushev scripsit:
>>
>>> Bulgarian is yet another Russian with "yet another similar but a bit
>>> different grammar and lexicon."  Overstating isn't helpful.
>>
>> Put in the queue for the next release of Essentialist Explanations at
>> http://www.ccil.org/~cowan/essential.html .
>
>   Only, it is wrong, wrong, wrong! :-) I was trying to stay away from
> this silly thread, but how could I pass up such ridiculous statements?
> Of the languages in the Slavic group, it is actually Bulgarian that
> has the earliest written record,

Only one of several dialects those times.

> so if you have to compare the two
> languages, it is logical to say that Russian is "yet another"
> Bulgarian, not the other way around. So there.

It isn't more logical in any kind to say this, since the two are quite
different languages, and common roots and mutual influence don't change
anything in their relationship.

The same may be applied to Common Lisp and Scheme, they were developed
in parallel at the same time and do have the same roots, but it doesn't
make them similar enough. They bear resemblance in view, but differ
too much inside.