Re: [Chicken-hackers] adding features to core units

From: Leonardo Valeri Manera
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] adding features to core units
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 14:16:53 +0100

On 29/03/2008, felix winkelmann <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi!
>
>  I know, I'm probably starting to get on everybodies nerves by now,
>  but may I suggest considering to place things like file-move/file-copy
>  into eggs? I'm a bit concerned about the rate of growth of the core
>  library units. It is easy to add things, but harder to remove them.
>
>  This may be a misunderstanding on my part, but I always hoped
>  to keep the core clean (essentially just what is needed to run
>  the compiler, chicken-setup and a few basic tools) and put everything
>  not absolutely required into extensions. This keeps build times low,
>  and makes chicken more suitable for embedded devices.
>
>  I'm not complaining, just asking into what direction we are going.

Hi felix.

I asked for file-copy and file-move both for use in
shell-script-alikes, and for use in chicken-setup (make) scripts.

If it wasn't for the latter, I would be all for smashing them, plus
the file-test egg elf is making for me, and some other convenience
shell script functions I made into a shell-script egg.

While I completely agree about build times and all that, I also feel
chicken-setup as provided by core should be able to move and copy
files around. Even if someone makes a more "complete" build system
using chicken, I'd consider this core functionality.

Leo