Re: [Chicken-hackers] Symbols and immutability

From: John Cowan
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] Symbols and immutability
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2008 16:08:07 -0400

Peter Bex scripsit:

> I just submitted a ticket for a nasty bug, #433
> http://trac.callcc.org/ticket/433
>
> What are your thoughts on how to solve this issue?

This is the classic modifying-symbol-printname bug.  Most Lisp
specifications including R5RS and ANSI CL say this is undefined behavior
(meaning demons may fly out of your nose if you do it); implementations
typically either ignore the problem (as Chicken does today), make a copy
of the string, or mark the string immutable.  I think the last solution
would be unsuitable for Chicken, and favor the copying strategy.

--
When I'm stuck in something boring              John Cowan
where reading would be impossible or            (who loves Asimov too)