Re: [Chicken-hackers] manual and chicken4 infrastructure

From: Shawn Rutledge
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] manual and chicken4 infrastructure
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 13:12:09 -0700

On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 3:38 PM, felix winkelmann <address@hidden> wrote:
> How much of the chicken-3 infrastructure shall remain, and
> for how long? As I understand, Ivan has an interest in continuing
> chicken-3 maintenance and support and could host all the
> hairy egg-post-commit + svnwiki-translation stuff on his machine.

There are quite a few eggs that are not ported, right?  Tinyclos is an
important one for me.  When all the eggs I use are ported, then I
guess I can upgrade everywhere.  :-)

Ideally no eggs would be left behind, but maybe that's not realistic.
Some other projects end up maintaining both new and old branches for
years for that kind of reason.  (KDE 3, Qt 3, ReiserFS V3, perl 5,
BlueZ 2 and 3, ...) And Linux distros will tend to lag behind for a
long time, too.  E.g. I have to work on OpenEmbedded one of these
days, and I imagine Gentoo won't get Chicken 4 for quite a while
either.