Re: [Chicken-hackers] manual and chicken4 infrastructure

From: Marijn Schouten (hkBst)
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] manual and chicken4 infrastructure
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 14:26:44 +0200

Marijn Schouten (hkBst) wrote:
> Shawn Rutledge wrote:
>> On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 3:38 PM, felix winkelmann <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> How much of the chicken-3 infrastructure shall remain, and
>>> for how long? As I understand, Ivan has an interest in continuing
>>> chicken-3 maintenance and support and could host all the
>>> hairy egg-post-commit + svnwiki-translation stuff on his machine.
>> There are quite a few eggs that are not ported, right?  Tinyclos is an
>> important one for me.  When all the eggs I use are ported, then I
>> guess I can upgrade everywhere.  :-)
>
>> Ideally no eggs would be left behind, but maybe that's not realistic.
>> Some other projects end up maintaining both new and old branches for
>> years for that kind of reason.  (KDE 3, Qt 3, ReiserFS V3, perl 5,
>> BlueZ 2 and 3, ...) And Linux distros will tend to lag behind for a
>> long time, too.  E.g. I have to work on OpenEmbedded one of these
>> days, and I imagine Gentoo won't get Chicken 4 for quite a while
>> either.
>
> I imagine chicken-4 will be in Gentoo in a week or so. (I'd try to add the
> release candidate to our overlay today, but due to a deadline I may not have
> time until friday.)

Actually, since I need to wait on some simulations I'm running, I had a look at
the release candidate. (Yay, no more libpcre ;P) It builds and seems to run
fine. A few observations:

1) How would I run the tests after installation to a non-trivial DESTDIR? One
problem here is to not use any files from a possible other chicken that is
installed to /.

2) Gentoo policy requires documentation in
/usr/share/doc/<package-name-and-version>/ so I am sed'ing this into
defaults.make:
- -DOCDIR = $(DATADIR)/doc

+DOCDIR = $(SHAREDIR)/doc/chicken-4.0.0
I don't know what other distros like. I'm just mentioning this FYI. It's not a
problem for us to change this ourselves.

3) Our package manager (portage) complains about executable stacks and missing
sonames. Quoting some of the output:

 * QA Notice: The following files contain executable stacks
 *  Files with executable stacks will not work properly (or at all!)
 *  on some architectures/operating systems.
 *  For more information, see http://hardened.gentoo.org/gnu-stack.xml
 * RWX --- --- usr/bin/chicken-bug
 * RWX --- --- usr/lib64/libchicken.so
 * RWX --- --- usr/lib64/libuchicken.so
 * !WX --- --- usr/lib64/libuchickenchicken-4.0.0.tar.gz:apply-hack.x86-64.o
 * !WX --- --- usr/lib64/libchickenchicken-4.0.0.tar.gz:apply-hack.x86-64.o

 * QA Notice: The following shared libraries lack a SONAME
 *  /var/tmp/portage/dev-scheme/chicken-4.0.0/image/usr/lib64/libchicken.so
 *  /var/tmp/portage/dev-scheme/chicken-4.0.0/image/usr/lib64/libuchicken.so

I don't feel very strongly about this one, but maybe you find it interesting.

4) It seems that the file you are using to release the release candidate does
not encode the version in the URL. I would like to put the release candidate
into our overlay (which is where we test stuff and make no guarantees) but our
package manager will make a local copy of the tarball and if you then change the
file (without changing the name) users will be surprised. This issue will cause
me to keep my package for myself until you make a real release.

Scheme on!,

Marijn

- --
Gods do not want you to think, lest they lose existence.
Religions do not want you to think, lest they lose power.

Marijn Schouten (hkBst), Gentoo Lisp project, Gentoo ML
<http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/lisp/>, #gentoo-{lisp,ml} on FreeNode