[Chicken-hackers] nursery size

From: Jim Ursetto
Subject: [Chicken-hackers] nursery size
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 23:36:21 -0500

I found I got a substantial performance boost on this machine--about
35% in one app--by setting the nursery stack size at runtime via
-:s1024k.  I tried rebuilding the compiler to make this the default,
using NURSERY=1048576, and rebuilding a few eggs.  Afterward, csi
confirms a nursery size of 1024k, but no performance boost was
observed at all.  If I then use -:s1024k on this new compiler, the
performance boost returns.

So, I assume -:s1024k is doing something more than simply setting the
default target stack size.  But I can't figure out what from perusing
the code.  I would like to know if I can make the behavior caused by
-:s1024k the default, rather than setting it at runtime each time.

Jim