Re: [Chicken-hackers] manual and chicken4 infrastructure

From: Peter Bex
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] manual and chicken4 infrastructure
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2009 23:17:19 +0200

On Mon, Apr 06, 2009 at 11:05:02PM +0200, felix winkelmann wrote:
> > Felix, this means that you can remove the manual from chicken's trunk
> > dir, as having duplicates is a surefire way to run out of synch.
> > In the future, man/5 can be created while working on the new version,
> > and it will not interfere with anything.
>
> I'd prefer to keep it in, to be honest. On the other hand, the syncing
> gets old. I'll do it when I get around. May take some time. I'm somewhat
> fed up in the moment.

We now have subversion 1.5 on the server. This means that if you also
have a subversion 1.5 (or newer) client, you can just type
'svn merge https://galinha.ucpel.tche.br/svn/chicken-eggs/chicken/trunk/manual'
in the manual directory, and it will automatically pull up the latest
changes.

(I recommend setting the interactive-conflicts option to 'no' in the
subversion config so that it won't keep whining when there are conflicts;
then you can just use your favorite editor/tool/whatever to fix them)

> > I noticed that the manual section of "Getting Started" was not tagged,
> > and thus not copied, so I copied & tagged it.  This means it's also not
> > maintained and may contain outdated info.  I did a quick check-up and
> > changed one or two obvious things, but I probably missed more subtle
> > things.
>
> "copied"? "tagged?" I don't understand. I think I had everything ok.

"Copied" means I used subversion to copy the file from the wiki root
to the man/3 dir, and also to the man/4 dir, so the file ended up where
it belonged; in the manual directories.

With "tagged" I meant adding a [[tags: manual]] line to the top of the
file, for the wiki's benefit. (sorry if I confused you into believing
I made an svn "tag")

You had everything ok, it's just that the original file didn't have the
"manual" wiki-tag, so you probably overlooked it when first copying the
manual into the chicken/hygienic/manual directory way back.

> Couldn't you just move the files?

I have. Don't worry about it :)

http://sjamaan.ath.cx
                                                        -- Donald Knuth