[Chicken-hackers] Re: irregex speed notes

From: Jim Ursetto
Subject: [Chicken-hackers] Re: irregex speed notes
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2009 22:14:24 -0500

On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 4:29 PM, Jim Ursetto <address@hidden> wrote:
> I wanted to mention that the transition from PCRE to irregex
> imposed a severe performance penalty.

> Chicken 4.0.0: 2m 15s  [now: 1m 25s]

With a few Chicken-specific optimizations to the DFA matcher I
achieved a 35% speedup--though going from 12x to 8x slower is not that
big a deal.  Alex informed me he has an optimized implementation for
Chicken (which is undoubtedly far better than my quick attempt), but
he is waiting to release it until he has a comprehensive benchmark
suite written.  So I will not be making any changes to the irregex
implementation at this time.

Jim