[Chicken-hackers] Re: irregex speed notes

From: Jim Ursetto
Subject: [Chicken-hackers] Re: irregex speed notes
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2009 22:56:02 -0500

On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 4:29 PM, Jim Ursetto <address@hidden> wrote:
> This is on a 400MB Apache log file, run like this:

This came about as a result of a discussion on IRC with a user trying
to convert a log parser from Ruby to Scheme--the original example just
counted logins from unique IPs in a given log file.  It's a good
example of a one-off script and should certainly be much faster under
Chicken than it currently is, although honestly I personally would
have just used Perl for that example anyway.

However, I wrote another logfile parser while testing the sql-de-lite
extension, which uses irregex but dumps everything into a SQLite
database.  In this case, database processing time dwarfs regular
expression parsing time even with irregex.

Moral, as always: profile your app.

Jim