[Chicken-hackers] msvc, again

From: felix winkelmann
Subject: [Chicken-hackers] msvc, again
Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 11:42:05 +0200

[this message didn't make it to the list for some reason, so I send it again,
if you got this already, please ignore my blathering]

Hi!

I tried in vain to get the MSVC build going, and I'm (once again) fed up
with it. I can get it to build, but with DEBUGMODE=1, the executables
don't find the proper runtime DLLs. Working on this is increasingly
frustrating and cannot bringp up the time and energy to support this
any further,
especially since there is a mingw-based build that works pretty well.

Now I know that there are people who have some experience with this
(elf did a great job earlier for the Windows-based builds), but are they
ready to step in once something breaks? Also, the endless fiddling
with the Windows builds (which seems to be necessary) has in the
past continuously broken the other builds. The build system is
fragile, that cannot be denied, but it works and should not be
replaced in the near future - too much effort has been put into it by
now.

I don't want to get bug reports for Windows builds that I can not
fix. Therefore I'd like to stop supporting MSVC.

What do you think?