Re: [Chicken-hackers] Making chicken-install amenable to automation

From: Marijn Schouten (hkBst)
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] Making chicken-install amenable to automation
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 2009 11:53:47 +0200

Timothy Beyer wrote:
> At Mon, 8 Jun 2009 13:07:49 +0100,
> Alaric Snell-Pym wrote:
>> 1) Fetch, which downloads a small number of files that can have their
>> checksums checked against what's on file. This means the ability to
>> get a specific version of an egg into a file. Now, the eggs manual
>> talks about .egg files as being gzipped tarballs, but what
>> henrietta.cgi actually outputs seems to be a different format,
>> involving plain text headers. What's the deal there? I see that
>> henrietta can be asked to produce a specific version of an egg, which
>> is cool, meaning pkgsrc packages can target a stable version with a
>> fixed checksum.
>
> The non-versioned egg files makes adding chicken packages to FreeBSD ports a
> challenge, similar to the situation you describe on NetBSD.  (there was a
> special mirror noted somewhere in the thread "Egg filename versioning" by
> Leonardo Valeri Manera, but I don't think anything became of it)  The only
> real alternative that I can think of (which would be "versioned") would be
> subversion checkouts during the fetch phase, but I seriously doubt that any
> of the BSDs or any of the source-based Linux distributions can do such a task
> in an elegant or standardized way.

If you have a user-definable fetch function (or abuse another phase for that
purpose) than you can do svn checkouts in your packages. This is easy to do and
supported in Gentoo. For example, you can install all of KDE-4 head from svn via
packages if that's what you want.

Anyway, everything that Alaric explained also holds for Gentoo.

> I'll take a look at henrietta.cgi, perhaps that could be a viable solution.
>
> I do not currently have a NetBSD or pkgsrc installation at the moment, but I
> actually made my own ports on FreeBSD for most of the dependencies to hato,
> which I never submitted officially -- I gave up on the idea, and now I just
> build it with makefiles and scripts because anything that breaks a build
> whenever a third-party package is updated is going to be a maintenance
> nightmare...
>
> The building steps aren't nearly as difficult, I often run chicken-setup
> directly on .setup files, but the problem as you noted, is getting the
> tarball and/or files in the first place.
>
> I currently gather the tarballs via chicken-setup, and then install my
> modifications sing that method since I make a lot of small modifications to
> various eggs.
>
> Thanks for your comments, you have put a lot of thought into this, a lot more
> than I have thus far.  I hope that I didn't take this discussion too far off
> on a tangent...
>
> Regards,
> Tim

Marijn

- --
If you cannot read my mind, then listen to what I say.

Marijn Schouten (hkBst), Gentoo Lisp project, Gentoo ML
<http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/lisp/>, #gentoo-{lisp,ml} on FreeNode