Re: [Chicken-hackers] too many core modules?

From: felix winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] too many core modules?
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 08:25:38 +0200

On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 9:45 PM, John Cowan<address@hidden> wrote:

> I suspect, though, that they use all units because it's easier to include
> them all than because they are all needed.  Eggs in particular ought
> to be selective, in my opinion, to reduce dependencies.  After all,
> there is really no principled reason for any particular bit to be a unit
> rather than an egg....

To support static linking, units are still needed, at least for core stuff.

Regarding the dependencies: this doesn't convince me. I see no
technical merit. I also don't see how it makes design and implementation
of programs and libraries easier. What do you really gain, I ask?

>> What I like is convenience: banging together code for quick jobs with
>> as little effort as possible.
>
> I agree, which is why I support the idea of a compound unit.  Convenience
> isn't always the predominant concern, though, especially when it comes
> to deployment, particularly deployment as C source (regrettable though
> that is).

Reducing the number of core libraries will make deployment actually
easier. Can you be more specific?