Re: [Chicken-hackers] cond-expand and syntax-rules on Chicken 4

From: John Cowan
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] cond-expand and syntax-rules on Chicken 4
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 14:47:01 -0500

Thomas Bushnell BSG scripsit:

> However, I think that it is certainly the case that syntax-rules should
> behave correctly, and it's really a syntax-rules bug here, seemingly,
> that keywords don't preserve their self-evaluating nature inside the
> syntax-rules context, which, if the language is going to have them at
> all, they should.

Keywords, properly so called, actually do preserve their self-evaluating
nature.  But there's no way for the syntax-rules engine to recognize
that "chicken" is a keyword in this context.  Cond-expand is unique
among macros, indeed, in that it has a completely unpredictable set
of identifiers which must be treated non-hygienically.  Wrap it in a
syntax-rules macro at your peril.

> (For my part, I regard keywords as Common Lisp grot, and would be happy
> to seem them abandoned,

Amen.

--
John Cowan  address@hidden  http://ccil.org/~cowan
The penguin geeks is happy / As under the waves they lark