[Chicken-hackers] modules vs. units

From: Thomas Bushnell BSG
Subject: [Chicken-hackers] modules vs. units
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 15:13:04 -0800

I'm afraid I'm still a little confused about exactly what modules do.

The examples in the manual deal with modules that produce shared
libraries.

What do (module ...) and (import ...) do at compile time?  What about at
load time in compiled code?

Right now I have programs made out of Chicken units; each source file is
a separate unit.  Many of the units are in a standard .a library, which
is convenient.  There is some clear cross-over between units and
modules; for example, both units and modules established protected
namespaces, and both export bindings from those namespaces to be more
globally visible.

Thomas